Elm Bank Care Village, Kettering

Elm Bank Care Village, Kettering

About this project

2011 – Winner of East Midlands Civic Society Commendation

2011 – Winner of Civic Society Rose Bowl 

DWA Architects managed the design and build of Elm Bank Care Village.

Elm Bank Care Village has been created partially through the re-use of principal listed buildings and partially from the redevelopment of land to the south. The listed building, Elm Bank House, was originally designed by local Architect J.A. Gotch, and completed in 1892. Initially a traditional home, Elm Bank housed London evacuees during World War II and became a Children’s Home after the war ended. During the late 1950’s and 70’s a number of extensions and alterations were made to the property, converting the use to a Residential Nursing Home, and finally a Children’s Day Centre. The property ceased to be occupied during the early part of the century, and was left to fall into disrepair.

The design brief was to accommodate a range of identified care needs by converting the original buildings into a prestigious care facility, whilst linking it visually and physically to a new modern home in the grounds.

Due to the Listed status of the buildings, strict limitations were imposed upon any design or potential layout of the development. A close working relationship was developed with Kettering Borough Council to develop proposals into a working design. Through a number of consultations and workshops with the Local Authority, common ground was met, and the delivery of an integrated scheme of aesthetic and mass between new and old began to emerge.

Details

Date:  October 17, 2010
Skills:  Award Winning, Conservation, Healthcare & Care Home
Tags:  Care Home, healthcare, Hemel Hempstead, Nash Mills, Water Mill House